Slices of south - South of Nowhere

Friday, July 22, 2005

Potter pots yet again...


So the potter mania is ON again.. I was out on a domestic travel across the length of the nation (from bangalore to mumbai to delhi and back) and found all across in the bookstands, Rowling reigns supreme… (It might disturb you to know that the pdf version of the book is also hot among e-readers. The picture attached is the front page of the pdf!!! Piracy acrobats!)

With very imaginative folk-lores and epics being embibed in our culture, why are people hooked on to Harry Potter and his friends’ adventures? Is it Rowling's “out of the box” imaginative skills that led to creation of one whole potter world full of witches, pure-bloods and muggles? Is it the game of snitches and other magic abracadabra that hooks in? I suppose it is a mix of all above which is given an extra-special topping through a human touch to the non-human world described in the series…

I love the series just for the magical transportation it does to me. It transports me to my childhood - school-days;switches on the flashback button in me. The boy in me is brought out smiling and enjoying the mischiefs, thrilled at the adventures and sharing the spirit of lead characters throughout. That is exactly where I think Rowling strikes a chord with the adult readers. In this neo-age wherein geeky stuff and something that is scandalizing is sure to fire up the book-stands, this book stands out by sheer difference – take you for a trip across. No surprise that it is widely popular among adults as it is among children. Afterall, who doesn’t like to live ever as a child?

2 Comments:

  • i have not read any of the harry potter books nor seen any of the movies. I think 'lord of the rings' spoilt me too much and in the same way that 'saving private ryan' spoilt me. I not been able to see another war movie after that. I tend to judge war movies on that standard now. Coming back to the fantasy genre, maybe i should give harry a chance.
    Ajay

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 22, 2005 10:38 AM  

  • Very nice site! » »

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at February 16, 2007 12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home